Google products are used by millions of people around the globe every day. As a company, Google was also affected by the pandemic and its 135,000 employees were working from their homes. As of October 2021 onwards, employees are expected to return to office. In order to do so, a new hybrid working model has been introduced and employees will be able to work in new offices.
The world of Googlers
For more than 20 years, Google employees, known as Googlers, have worked in progressive offices. The company places a particularly strong emphasis on corporate culture and is known as one of the most forward-thinking employers of our decade.
New hybrid model
Even before the pandemic, Google allowed some employees to work remotely, but most Googlers took advantage of the well-equipped campus and worked at a fixed location. During the pandemic, Google allowed working from home for everyone. Starting in October 2021, employees are expected to return to the offices as Google continues to place a big focus on its own on-site corporate culture.
However, some of the Googlers saw great benefits in working remotely, so Google now wants to offer employees more flexibility in their own work and lifestyle, as well as more choices in where they work.
To that end, a new general hybrid work model has been designed and office space has been redesigned to accommodate returnees:
- 60% of employees want to work a hybrid schedule at a fixed location. Googlers come into the office for three days and can spend two days where they work best. They can choose themselves on which days they work from where.
- If Googlers decide to come in to the office, they can book a desk through an internal tool and will automatically be seated next to or in close proximity to their team members.
- 20% of Googlers continue to work remotely on a full-time basis.
- 20% of employees work in the newly established fixed-location office space.
➡️ Start your hybrid work model with the deskbird app!
Focus on employees
Next to this, Google is offering employees more options to help Googlers better balance work and personal life while being more productive.
- Up to 4 weeks per year can be spent temporarily working from a location other than the main office. This can be any location in the world: From Teneriffe's beach towns to Swiss mountain huts or Sofia's vibrant city centre.
- Additional fixed "reset" days for all employees, so they can recover even better. Google designates a couple of days per year (depending on location) for Googlers to rest and take a day off.
- Focused hours, meaning that employees work on priority projects at specific times.
Redesign of offices
Especially during the pandemic, dedicated teams have focused on redesigning workspaces to make work environments more effective and pleasant. Many rooms are assigned a special function, such as resting rooms, meeting rooms for extra long sessions or for video conferencing. Likewise, rooms have been equipped with new video technology to allow for better connectivity and equity between in-office staff and remote workers in meetings.
"The future of work is flexibility," CEO Sundar Pichai wrote in his public email to employees. "The changes above are a starting point to help us do our best work and have fun doing it."
We believe Google has created innovative offices, improving the work atmosphere for employees to be more productive. With both the flexible hybrid work model and the transparency of the company, Google serves as a role model for companies in all industries!